Billionaire loses $6bn in 1 day but is still the 5th richest in the world + see top 10 richest men
According to Forbes, he was worth $49.8 billion at 5pm. In the space of 30 minutes he lost $800million, so ended up falling behind Carlos Slim Helu of Mexico, who is now the fourth richest person in the world with a net worth of $49.6 billion.
Bezos prefers to look on the bright side of things however.
‘Twenty years ago, I was driving the packages to the post office myself and hoping we might one day afford a forklift. This year, we pass 100 billion dollars in annual sales and serve 300 million customers. And still, measured by the dynamism we see everywhere in the marketplace and by the ever-expanding opportunities we see to invent on behalf of customers, it feels every bit like day one.’
See the top ten richest men below.
Billionaire Net Worth (billions) Company/ source Country
1. Bill Gates $76.2 Microsoft United States
2. Amancio Ortega $68.4 Zara Spain
3. Warren Buffett $59.8 Berkshire Hathaway United States
4. Carlos Slim Helu $49.6 Telecoms Mexico
5. Jeff Bezos $49.2 Amazon.com United States
6. Mark Zuckerberg $47.9 Facebook United States
7. Larry Ellison $44.1 Oracle United States
8. Charles Koch $39.7 Diversified United States
9. David Koch $39.7 Diversified United States