Angelique Kerber Produced an Upset as She Beat Serena Williams to Win her First Grand Slam Title.

Tennis
 Angelique Kerber ruined Serena Williams' hopes of matching Steffi Graf's Grand Slam haul of 22 major titles with a shock victory in the Australian Open final.

Kerber became the first German to clinch a major since Graf won the last of her slams at Roland Garros in 1999 with a 6-4 3-6 6-4 success on Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne on Saturday.

World No 1 Williams had battered five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova in the quarter-finals and fourth seed Agnieszka Radwanska in the semi-finals.

But Kerber, who saved a match point in her first-round clash with Japan's Misaki Doi, entered her first major final with immense confidence to walk away with her maiden Slam.

Completing victory after two hours and eight minutes, Kerber lay outstretched in disbelief, having sealed one of the biggest shocks in tennis history.

Kerber, inspired by a message from Graf, made clear before the match that all the pressure was on her opponent and she mercilessly exploited Williams' weaknesses in what turned out to be a thriller.



When I played here in the first round, I had one leg on the plane to Germany and now I'm here," Kerber said.

"I think I get the second chance and I take my chance to be here in the final against Serena.

"I'm really honoured to be here and to win, it is my dream come true tonight.

"My whole life I worked really hard and now I'm here, I can say I'm a Grand Slam champion. It's crazy and unbelievable."

Read more Click Skysports

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW MMM-NIGERIA WORKS WORKS (Make extra income)